Agricultural Biological Market – An Overview : DecisionDatabases.com
What are agricultural biologicals?
A group of products that are derived from plants or microorganisms that play a role in improving the health and yield of crops are called agricultural biologicals. A replacement to fertilizers and pesticides, agricultural biological also known as microbial holds great potential to lower the environmental impact of these chemical catalysts of agriculture. With an insured protection from weeds, insects, diseases and pests, these biologicals provide an access to nutrients that are critical for a plant’s survival. They also enhance productivity and fertility of the soil along with the ability to absorb nutrients for plant’s growth.
Why use agriculture biologicals and what are its classifications?
Based on their usage, agriculture biologicals can be classified into two categories:
- Plant Extract
- Beneficial Insects
- Bio fertilizers
In order to meet the increasing demands for food and fuel, agriculture biologicals provide a green approach to meet these requirements. The major factors that drive the need for innovation and agricultural sustainability include consumer demands for organic products and resistance to weeds and chemicals in agricultural products. One of the major concerns of the consumer is the environmental impact of agricultural practices. This in turn contributes to the increasing demand for agriculture biologicals.
Current Scenario of Global Biological Market
Global agricultural biologicals market is segmented based on types of agricultural biologicals such as biopesticides, plant extract, beneficial insects, biofertilizers and others. Bioherbicide, bioinsecticide, and biofungicide are the sub-types of biopesticides. The market is further segmented based on applications such as cereals, oilseeds & pulses, fruits & vegetables, plantations crops, nursery and others.
European region (comprisingFrance, Italy, and Spain) has been occupying the largest share of the global agricultural biologicals market followed by North America. Asia Pacific is the emerging market and has a great scope in the near future. Market of biopesticides is expected to grow the fastest as compared to that of biostimulants and biofertilisers.
Read full report on “Global Agricultural Biologicals Market Research Report - Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast, 2014 – 2021”
Increased awareness of the environmental and health benefits of growing consumption of organic products is driving the growth of global agricultural biologicals market. The after-effects of chemical fertilizers and pesticides on consumer’s health are forcing the government to promote the use of agricultural biologicals. Farmers are facing the challenge of producing more affordable food that will be accessible to a growing population in a more sustainable manner. Efforts are been taken to educate the farmer about sustainable agricultural practices and reduce the usage of toxic chemical substances, thus supporting the growth of agricultural biological market.Government initiatives and grants will be playing a major role in breaking the age-old agricultural practices and adoption of agricultural biologicals.
Major Players in the Market
While research on agricultural biologicals is a fairly new practice, the market is making its way towards growth due to strict environment policies and increasing shift towards organic produce. The companies that dominate the market include:
- BASF SE (Germany): In operations for over 150 years, BASF provides biotechnical support for sustainable agricultural practices, functional crop care, pest control, etc. From combating rodent damage in field crops, to keeping homes, food establishments, and businesses clean and pest-free; BASF supports commercial nurseries and greenhouse growers to combat pests and diseases and to ensure healthy plants.
- Bayer Crop Science (Germany): Bayer CropScience is one of the world's leading innovative crop science companies in the areas of seeds, crop protection and non-agricultural products. Bayer produces various fungicides, herbicides, insecticides, and some crop varieties.
- Marrone Bio Innovations, Inc. (U.S.): their commercial products include REGALIAbiofungicides, for control of plant diseases and promoting plant health, and broad-spectrum bioinsecticides, GRANDEVO and VENERATE .
- Novozymes A/S (Denmark): Enzymatic pesticides and microbial yield and fertility enhancers help farmers to enjoy healthier crops and higher yields, with some solutions improving the availability and prudent management of nonrenewable phosphate fertilizer.
- Agricen, A Loveland Products Company: Agricen, a Loveland Products company, is supporting sustainable agriculture with a new generation of biologically sourced tools for plant nutrition.Agricen’s products are biochemical fertilizer catalysts derived from a naturally occurring, diverse community of microorganisms and the biochemical byproducts they produce (e.g., organic acids, proteins, enzymes).
- Isagro Spa: It produces Fungicides, insecticids, pheromones, biostimulants and biological fungicides for sustainable agriculture.